Terms of Service / Hosting Policy
First, be aware of the following facts with regards to hosting companies.
- Hosts are not all alike — the server load factor will determine the server response time, which has a dramatic affect on your user experience and also affects your SEO ranking.
- All hosts will limit your account if you exceed normal CPU usage, regardless of their disk and bandwidth policies. So, you always want to use a responsible hosting company that monitors usage, cuts service rarely and communicates clearly, and does not overload servers. We have been using Hostgator for years as our server provider and are fully satisfied with their policies and their support.
The simple rules that follow should cover 100% of our customer’s needs.
- You can host unlimited domains. In fact, in general you only ever need one hosting company. See Instructions for hosting an additional domain
- Our sites are hosted and managed by Hostgator, one of the strongest and most responsive hosting companies on the planet. We manage your support (both hosting support and WordPress support), but we access Hostgator for second-tier support issues.
- We’ll start you out with 1 GB disk and 7 GB transfer bandwidth. This is enough for about 50 WordPress websites and more than enough for 99% of small business websites.
- We’ll monitor usage and increase disk and transfer bandwidth as neeeded, up to a maximum of 10GB disk and 50GB bandwidth. If you are doing a major product launch or expect a big usage spike, you can also write to us and we’ll increase your allocation pro-actively.
- If you need more than 10GB of disk or 50GB bandwidth, we’ll charge you the Premium upgrade option ($8/mth). Note that you can pair one of our hosting accounts with AWS storage for unlimited disk, at a very modest cost (less than 10 cents /mth per GB).
- You have your own cPanel (from which you control all your hosting options and emails), and so you can transfer out your site and cancel our service any time you want.
- All this is handled for you. Your hosting account should never be limited or suspended as we monitor usage closely.
- Reseller hosting on our servers (ie hosting for your web clients) is not normally allowed (exception for pro-bono clients or just a few sub-accounts). If you have web clients its best to have a reseller hosting system (such as Hostgator) that gives them their own cpanels (a courtesy to them in case you get eaten by a black hole). Web designers are encouraged to join our affiliate program or write for other possibilities
Premium Upgrade Option ($8/mth)
- This option removes any limits on disk and bandwidth
If you have any questions about this policy, please open a ticket.